NEW RANKINGS & WRITE-UPS
Rankings as of October 23, 2012
SPOTLIGHT TEAM FROM LAST WEEK’s PLAY:
Princeton defeated the only undefeated team left in the Division I NCAA Field Hockey last weekend in Harrow’s Spotlight Game of the week. They did not just beat the UConn Huskies, they made a statement reinforcing their #2 Ranking, which a score of 4-1. As seasons continue to wind down, Princeton will definitely be a team to look out for in NCAA post-season play!
UPSET OF THE WEEK: UNRANKED LOUISVILLE upsets OHIO STATE moving them down 3 spots in the Rankings this week
SPOTLIGHT GAMES FOR THIS UPCOMING WEEK:
– The two teams that were undefeated the Longest will face off this
#4 U CONN vs. #3 SYRACUSE
OCTOBER 27th @ 1pm
#2 PRINCETON vs. #7 VIRGINIA
October 29th @ 4pm
GREEN : MOVED UP IN THE RANKINGS
RED: MOVED DOWN IN THE RANKINGS
WHITE: RANKING REMAINED THE SAME
ORANGE: PREVIOUSLY UNRANKED, NEW TO TOP 25
1. UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA (16-1): UNC battled Maryland this past weekend in a re-match of last year’s National Championship game, and came back from behind to beat the Terrapins 4-3 in OT. UNC has been tested in OT the past two weekends, and will be facing the Old Dominion Monarchs this weekend for their last home regular season game this weekend.
2. PRINCETON (13-1): Princeton played UConn in the SPOTLIGHT GAME of the week this past weekend and defeated the undefeated Huskies 4-1. Princeton will take on Cornell this week and #7 Virginia this weekend. It should be a tough battle between two of these top ranked teams trying to make once last impact in the rankings before regular season comes to an end.
3. SYRACUSE (15-1): Syracuse’s game against UConn is being featured as this upcoming week’s SPOTLIGHT GAME. These two teams were undefeated the longest in the Top 25 this regular season, and will be a great battle for a last minute move in the rankings before the post-season begins!
4. UCONN (16-1): Even though they were beat by Princeton 4-1 this past week, the Huskies have a another chance to move up in the rankings when they play #3 Syracuse this weekend in the SPOTLIGHT GAME of the week.
5. PENN STATE UNIVERSITY (13-3): Up two spots from last week after wins over Ohio State and Bucknell, the Nittany Lions will take on #21 Michigan State this weekend for a Big10 battle. This game will be important for Big10 rankings going into post-season play!
6. University of Maryland (12-4): The Terps stayed put this week after a 3-4 OT loss to the UNC Tar Heels. Every time these two teams meet it is always a toss-up as to who is going to putt out the win. Maryland will move on this weekend to face Rutgers in their last game of the regular season.
7. University of Virginia (14-3): The Cavaliers moved down two spots this week despite beating ACC rival Wake Forest 4-0. They will have a tough weekend of competition coming up when they face #22 Duke University and #2 Princeton in one of the spotlight games of the week. These games will be a great chance for UVA to move up in the rankings before their ACC conference championships begin next week.
8. NORTHWESTERN (16-2): The Wildcats stayed put this week after two wins this past weekend. For their last regular season game, they will take on the #12 Iowa Hawkeyes!
9. OLD DOMINION UNIVERSITY (12-4): ODU has also stayed put this week after wins over Kent and Ball State this past weekend. The Monarchs will travel to take on the #1 Tar Heels this weekend. The rivalry between the coaches is just as competitive between that of the girls, so this will be a tough game. I’m sure would love to end the Tar Heels’ regular season play with a loss at home on their senior day in her last season coaching.
10. NORTHEASTERN (12-4): Despite their loss in OT 3-4 to Boston University this past weekend, Northeastern has stayed put this week. They will take on, now #23 Ranked, Drexel this weekend for their last regular season game.
11. LAFAYETTE COLLEGE (13-3): Lafayette stayed put as well and will be taking of Georgetown and Lehigh this weekend for their last regular season games.
12. UNIVERSITY OF IOWA (12-4) : The Hawkeyes will take on #8 Northwestern and #14 Michigan for their last regular season games. These games should be a good chance for Iowa to move in the rankings before post-season.
13. STANFORD UNIVERSITY (11-6): Stanford is up one spot from last week after wins over UC Davis and California, which were their last two games of the regular season. Since they do not have a game this week, it will be interesting to see where they end up after this weekend’s other contests.
14. UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN (11-5): The Wolverines are up one spot from last week and will be facing #5 Penn State for a tough Big10 battle. This game presents a great opportunity for Michigan to move up in the rankings before Big10 conference championship play starts next week.
15. BOSTON UNIVERSITY (10-6) : Surprised to see Boston University down two spots this week after a big upset over Northeastern 4-3 in OT. The Terriers did suffer a 0-1 Loss to University of New Hampshire last weekend as well, but it seemed to help them in their contest against Northeastern the next day. BU will take on Fairfield and Yale this weekend for their last two regular season contests.
16. BOSTON COLLEGE (9-8) : The Eagles stayed put this week in the rankings after suffering two losses to #4 UConn and #3 Syracuse. BC will take on Wake Forest for their last regular season game.
TIE #16 UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND (13-4): Richmond has had a good week and has moved up one spot as a result. They will be facing La Salle and Lock Haven this weekend for their last two regular season games.
18. UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS (10-8): Umass has kept the spirit from their big upset going and have moved up one spot from last week after two wins. They will take on Lock Haven and Temple this weekend for their last regular season games.
19. UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE (9-7): Moved up a THREE spots this week in the rankings after beating BU and winning 2-1 in OT against Providence this past weekend. UNH will face Maine and Dartmouth this weekend for their last regular season games.
20. UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY (10-7): Albany moved up THREE spots as well this week, after beating Yale and Maine. They will take on Vermont this weekend for their last regular season game.
21. MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY (10-8): Michigan State is down one spot this week after losing to Northwestern and pulling out an over time win over unranked, Central Michigan 2-1. The Spartans will take on #5 Penn State this weekend for their last regular season game.
22. DUKE UNIVERSITY (7-9): Duke is up two spots from last week and will have a tough ACC battle this weekend against #7 Virginia. This game will be a great chance for the Blue Devils to move up in the rankings before ACC Championship play starts next week.
23. DREXEL UNIVERSITY (11-6): Drexel had the biggest drop in the rankings this week, moving down 4 spots. Drexel will take on Hofstra and Northeastern this weekend, which will be a good chance for them to move up in the rankings before post-season play starts next week.
24. OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY (9-7): Ohio state is down 3 spots this week after suffering an a loss by un-ranked Louisville in OT this past weekend. The Buckeyes will close regular season play with a game against Indiana University.
25. UNIVERSITY OF MAINE (10-8): Maine is back into the 25 after being bumped out the past week. Maine will take on #19 University of New Hampshire this weekend for their last game of regular season play.