After a great weekend of Field Hockey in Division I play, the new NFHCA rankings have come out just in time as teams gear up for their upcoming games this weekend. There have been quite a few teams moving around in the top 25, and a couple of new comers as well! One thing that has not changed however, is the standing of the top 6 teams. Here are the new standings released today, Sept. 18, 2012.
GREEN : MOVED UP IN THE RANKINGS
RED: MOVED DOWN IN THE RANKINGS
WHITE: RANKING REMAINED THE SAME
ORANGE: PREVIOUSLY UNRANKED, NEW TO TOP 25
2012 Penn Moto/ NFHCA Division I National Coaches Poll
Released: September 18, 2012
1. University of North Carolina
– This past weekend the Heels defeated ODU 3-2, which was broadcast on ESPN3.com, and defeated the Wake Forest 2-1 securing their top spot for another week. This Friday, the Heels will take on their historic rival, the DukeBlue Devils (#19), in Durham, as well as Stanford (#11) on Sunday at home in Chapel Hill.
2. Syracuse University
– Syracuse has pulled out of last week’s tie with Princeton to secure the #2 ranking this week after two big wins over Villanova and Kent State. This weekend they will be have to face the now #3 ranked Princeton Tigers on Sunday after playing Rutgers on Friday. It will be tough, but excited weekend to watch as these teams meet to battle out for the higher ranking!
– They may have technically gone down one ranking spot from last week, but all eyes will be on the Tigers as they play to gain the the higher ranking over Syracuse this Sunday at home. The Tigers will also be playing Yale on Saturday. It will be a great test for the Tigers to have a tough back-to-back weekend so early in the season!
– Maryland has stayed put at #4 this week. Looking head to this weekend, the Terps will face fellow ACC team, Wake Forest in Winston Salem.
– The Huskies may have stayed put this week, but they will have their hands full this weekend when they face #16 University of New Hampshire on Friday and Villanova on Sunday. UNH has moved up five spots from last week and will be a good test for the Huskies!
6. Penn State
– Penn State is going to be facing a great weekend of Big 10 Conference competition this weekend with games against newly ranked #24 Indiana and #15 University of Michigan at Home.
7. University of Virginia –
– UVA Moved up 2 spots from last week with a win over Miami of Ohio on National Field Hockey Day. This weekend they will be heading to Boston this weekend to face #12 Boston University and #22 Boston College.
– Down 1 spot from last week, Northeastern will face #20 William and Mary on Friday, and #9 Old Dominion on Sunday. Old Dominion is a very tough team and will be coming for a win to move up the rankings!
9. Old Dominion University
– ODU has moved Down 1 spot from last week, after losing to UNC and beating Wake Forest this past weekend. Looking forward, the Monarchs play #8 Northestern, and will attempt to move back up in the rankings. The will also be facing Hofstra at the beginning of the weekend.
– The Wildcats have stayed put at #10 after this weekend’s play, and will be facing Ohio and Ohio State this weekend.
– Up one spot over the weekend, the Cardinals will head to Chapel Hill, NC to face #1 UNC and Radford this weekend.
12. Boston University
– Down one stop from after the weekend, the Terriers will face #7 University of Virginia at home this weekend.
13. Iowa University
– Iowa is up one spot from last weekend after a win over Albany. This weekend the Hawkeyes will face the #15 Michigan State and Central Michigan.
14. Wake Forest University
– Down one spot, after a win over Appalachian State and a loss to #1 Ranked UNC. The Demon Deacons will face the Maryland Terapins this weekend!
15. Michigan State
– Up 4 spots from last week and will be facing Big 10 conference competitor, Iowa and ACC competitor Duke this weekend. It will a a lot of traveling for the Michigan State girls, not be mention a lot of great hockey!
16. University of New Hampshire
– UNH has moved up a huge 5 spots, from their previous #21 ranking. Their new ranking will be put to the test when they face the #5 UConn Huskies.
17. University of Michigan
– Michigan has moved down one spot in the rankings this week. The girls will be traveling to play Bucknell and #6 Penn State this upcoming weekend in back-to-back games.
18. Lafayette College
– Recently unranked, Lafayette College has come into the Top 25 this week to secure the #18 spot. The Leopards’ new ranking will be put to the test as the face #21 ranked Albany this Saturday.
19. Duke University
– Duke is down 2 spots this week. This weekend the Blue Devils face their historic rival, the #1 Ranked North Carolina Tar-Heels, on their home turf Friday night. On Sunday, the Blue Devils will also host #15 Ranked Michigan State. It will be a weekend of stiff competition for the Blue Devils.
20. College of William and Mary
– Recently unranked, the Tribe has come up into the rankings this week and will be playing Hofstra and #8 Ranking Northeastern.
– Albany has moved down one spot this past week.
22. Boston College
– BC has moved down 4 spots
– has moved down 8 spots
– the Hoosiers have moved into the top 25 this week. Their new ranking will be tested when they face #6 Ranked Penn State this weekend.
25. University of Massachusetts