How to choose a Lacrosse Stick
THE ESSENTIALS TO CHOOSING THE RIGHT LACROSSE STICK
There are two essentials to every lacrosse stick. The head and the shaft. There are wide variations of lacrosse heads and lacrosse shafts depending on a player's skill level and position.
PARTS OF A LACROSSE STICK
- Lacrosse Heads: The head is the top part of your stick, where the lacrosse ball is caught and thrown from. Heads come either strung or unstrung, and Harrow offers them in a wide range of colors, materials and styles.
- Lacrosse Shafts: The lacrosse shaft is the long rod, often called handles, that is held by the player. Modern lacrosse shafts are made from metal alloys, making them stronger and lighter than ever. Different positions typically use different length sticks, all depending on preferences
CHOOSING STICK LENGTHS BY POSITION
- Attackers and Midfielders typically use a shorter stick, ranging from 40 to 42 inches long.
- Defensive players or defensive minded Midfielders should use a stick ranging from 52 to 72 inches long.
- Goalies have more flexibility in their stick length. Goalies can use a stick ranging anywhere from a short 40 inch stick up to a long 72 inch stick.
- For younger lacrosse players, it is more important to choose a stick that fits the players size, rather than what position they play.
SKILL LEVEL: BEGINNER
Recommended for players up to age 12 with 1-4 years of experience.
The most important features of a beginner stick are a wider head and flatter scoop to help learn to throw, catch, and pick up ground balls. At the youth level it is legal to cut your shaft (non HS level) to make it the appropriate size. The shaft should be as long as the length from the back of your shoulder to your fingertips leaving 1-2 inches for growth.
RECOMMENDED LACROSSE HEAD: HARROW SLINGSHOT
SKILL LEVEL: ADVANCED
Recommended for players 12+ with 4+ years experience
For a more advanced player it is a combo of personal preference and position that will determine if you go with an off-set or non off-set head. An off-set head allows for increased accuracy, speed, and precision on passes and shots by forcing the ball higher in the stick for a quicker release and is ideal for an attacker or midfielder. A non-offset head such as the P11 has an extreme scoop angle to help with ground balls and a stiffer head for more control to prevent turnovers and is ideal for defenders and midfielders.
RECOMMENDED LACROSSE HEAD: ULTRALIGHT HEAD